Rain Barrel Program and Bio-Orb® Composters
Save money, conserve water and turn organic waste into garden fertilizer!
Please click here for the 2010 program flier in .pdf.
The Town of Winchester is pleased to announce a partnership with The New England Rain Barrel Company to offer rain barrels to Winchester residents for the reduced price of $74.95 each – a savings of $45 over retail. Bio-Orb® composters are offered at $89.95 – a savings of $40 over retail.
To order call 1-877-977-3135 or visit: (www.nerainbarrel.com)
ORDER must be placed by Fri. June 11th, 2010
PICK UP at the Transfer Station June 17th, 2010, 4-7pm
What is a rain barrel?
- Innovative way to capture and store rainwater from your rooftop for watering lawns, gardens, & plants.
- Each barrel holds 55 to 60 gallons of rainwater.
- Connects easily to gutters and downspouts.
- Screened louver opening to keep insects and debris out.
- Comes with two brass fittings – one for overflow and one to connect
to a hose for watering.
- Comes with 5-foot starter hose with shut-off.
Why use a rain barrel?
- Excellent way to conserve water,
save money, and decrease the
burden on the Town’s drainage
- Free “soft water” for your plants.
- The average homeowner uses
approximately 40% of their annual
water consumption outdoors.
- A typical roof will shed over 4,000
gallons of water between April
- A quarter inch of runoff from the
average roof will fill the barrel - 5
storms a season equals 275 gallons
of free water!
What is the Bio-Orb® Composter?
- The Bio-Orb® is a closed composting container perfect for urban and suburban gardeners due to its compact size and ease of maintenance.
- It has a capacity of 13 cubic feet and is made of 100% recycled black plastic that absorbs heat and speeds the breakdown of compost material.
- The Bio-Orb® is 3-feet in diameter and weights approximately 15-pounds when empty.
- It is delivered in two sections that can fit in the back seat of any 4-door sedan and is easily assembled without the use of any tools.
Why use a compost bin?
- Composting is an efficient way to break down organic materials, like yard waste, into an end product that can be used as a soil amendment and is beneficial to plants.
- The Bio-Orb has a capacity of 13 cubic feet and is made of 100% recycled black plastic to absorb heat.
- The bin is easily rolled to speed up production of compost.
- Composting reduces yard waste contributions to landfills, thereby reducing municipal waste disposal costs and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- The use of compost can reduce or eliminate the need to use chemical fertilizers in the garden.
For more information, visit
www.winchester.us or contact Beth Rudolph,
Assistant Town Engineer at 781-721-7120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.