Sustainability is the practice of conserving natural resources and protecting the environment in order to give
present and future generations the highest quality of life possible.
Sustainable Winchester is a nonprofit
organization founded for the purpose of educating and raising awareness about sustainability so that residents,
officials, and community organizations can be educated and empowered to take action in their day-to-day lives to
incorporate sustainability into our community.
You're invited! Our meetings are open to the public.
We meet on the first Tuesday of every month, from 7-9 pm, usually in Town Hall, 71 Mt. Vernon Street,
at the big table in front of the Clerk's office. There we develop current projects and discuss
Current Projects and Volunteer Opportunities
We have a lot of projects in the pipeline that need volunteers. Let us know if you have some time to devote to a worthy local organization, where you'll have fun working with fellow residents to achieve a common goal. Contact Carolyn Starrett at the info below if you may be interested.
- Cool Winchester project (ongoing): Our goal is to help 85% of Winchester households reduce their carbon footprint by 25% by 2020, through the following ways:
To date, 145 Winchester households have completed the EcoTeam Process. They have reduced their CO2 emissions by over 1.6 million pounds per year, equal to taking 135 cars off the road-permanently! You are invited to get involved as an EcoTeam participant or EcoTeam leader.
We have two partners which provide no-cost energy assessments and also quality insulation work at the lowest cost available. Learn more at Cool Winchester
Starting with the Solarize program of 2011 and continuing with our own SolarWin project in 2012, we have assisted residents to go from 4PV solar installations in town to 40 to date.
We collaborate with various environmental efforts in Winchester and nearby communities, and provide information through our web site, news media and public events. We also support non-environmental efforts in Winchester to help make it a healthy, diverse yet cohesive community.
- Cool Cities Program: The town, with assistance from SusWin, formed a Climate Action Task Force which created a Climate Action Plan, now being supported by the Climate Action Plan Advisory Committee.
- Winchester Environmental Fair, held October 15, 2011, in conjunction with the Farmers Market.
- Recycling at Town Events: Recycling volunteers are needed annually for the En Ka Fair and Town Day .
- Winchester Farmers Market (Runs Saturdays on the Town common from mid June to late October): Help is needed for setup/takedown each week, as well as manning the SusWin table. If you contact Carolyn Starrett at the info below to be added to the volunteer list you will receive a weekly signup opportunity reminder during the season.
- Rain Barrel Program
Points of Interest
President: Carolyn Starrett. 781-729-9022 (home), 617-899-1849 (cell), email@example.com